Virabhadrasana 1 or Warrior 1 is a great asana for building strength, stability and mobility and is particularly good for stretching and strengthening the shoulders, arms, legs, ankles and back and for stretching the abdomen.
Step by Step Guide to Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior 1)
• Take the legs wide apart and turn one foot slightly in and the other straight out
• Take both arms up and reach up whilst keeping the shoulder blades drawn together and down opening up the chest
• Exhale and rotate the body keeping the pelvis square
• Arch back slightly and with your back heel firmly on the floor exhale and bend your front knee lowering your front thigh towards the floor to a parallel position if possible, if not just go as low as you can
• Lift the front of your hips away from your front leg while lightly drawing your lower belly and sacrum towards each other
• Hold this position and reach strongly through your arms lifting the ribcage away from the pelvis
• Keep gazing forwards then if you like you can place the palms together and gaze up at the thumbs
• When you’re ready inhale and lift back up by pushing through the back heel and straightening the front leg
• Lower the arms and turn back to centre
What Our Clients Are Saying
"Shanti's approach to wellbeing is wholesome. She takes you on a journey to awaken the body's natural healing potential. You will leave feel centred and blissfull".